123 North College Avenue, Suite 160, Fort Collins, CO 80524
5 Convenient Locations:Ft.Collins | Greeley | Longmont | Boulder | Loveland
Hoggatt Law Office, P.C.

Request a Free Consultation | No Upfront FeesSe Habla Español

970-225-2190 | 

Frequently Asked Questions About Workers’ Compensation in Colorado

Posted on in Workplace Injury

Ft. Collins work injury lawyer

People work in order to support themselves and their families. That is why if you are hurt and cannot perform your job, there is a cause for concern. The good news is, if you are injured while at work, you may be eligible for workers' compensation benefits to compensate you for your lost wages and medical bills. If you were hurt at work, you may wonder if you are entitled to benefits, depending on the type of injury. You may also not know how to initiate the process. Here are some answers to frequently asked questions by those who are considering filing for workers' compensation.   

What Is Workers’ Compensation? 

Most employers throughout the United States are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance that provides coverage in the unfortunate event an employee gets hurt while at work. In these cases, workers' compensation insurance will pay for the full costs of any necessary medical treatment. If an employee cannot return to work due to an injury he or she sustained while on the job, then workers’ comp will pay a percentage of his or her lost wages. In Colorado, some classes of employees, such as real estate agents and federal employees, are not eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. 

How Do I Report an Accident? 

If you are injured while at work or because of actions taken while performing your job, you should inform your employer as soon as possible. It is recommended that you verbally tell your employer and also provide a written statement. If you take too long to inform your employer, that may affect the amount of benefits you receive. Alerting your employer should be the first step you take, unless your life is in danger and you need immediate medical assistance. It will be your employer’s responsibility to report the accident and file for workers’ compensation. An employer has 10 days to file from the day they are informed of the accident if an employee has missed three or more days of work.

How Do I Seek Medical Treatment? 

After informing your employer of an accident, the employer will give you four options of doctors or medical facilities to visit to receive treatment for your injury. If they do not give you an option in a reasonable amount of time, then you may pick a medical professional of your choice. If your injury is severe and requires immediate attention, you should go to the nearest emergency room. The doctor you choose from the options will become your authorized treating physician and will make referrals to specialists for advanced care such as physical therapy or surgery. 

Contact a Larimer County Workers’ Compensation Attorney

A work accident that leaves you permanently or temporarily disabled can threaten your livelihood. As an employee in Colorado, you have certain rights to workers' comp benefits. If you have been injured while at work, an experienced Fort Collins workplace injury lawyer can assist in filing a workers' compensation claim and help you ensure that you receive the full benefits you deserve. Call the Hoggatt Law Office, P.C. at 970-225-2190 today to schedule a free consultation.



badge Elite Lawyer badge badge Colorado Bar Association American Association of Justice Colorado Trial Lawyers Association Larimer County Bar Association
Hoggatt Law Office, P.C.

970-225-2190 | 1-800-664-3151

123 North College Avenue, Suite 160,
Fort Collins, CO 80524

3835 W. 10th Street, Unit 100
Greeley, Colorado 80634 |
353 Main Street, Suite A
Longmont, Colorado 80501 |
4450 Arapahoe Avenue, Suite 100
Boulder, Colorado 80303 |
201 E. 4th Street, Unit 132
Loveland, Colorado 80537 |
Download Our App
Google Play
Back to Top