123 North College Avenue, Suite 160, Fort Collins, CO 80524
5 Convenient Locations:Ft.Collins | Greeley | Longmont | Boulder | Loveland
Hoggatt Law Office, P.C.

Request a Free Consultation | No Upfront FeesSe Habla Español

970-225-2190 | 

What Should I Do if I Was Hit by a Government Vehicle?

Posted on in Car Accident

CO injury lawyerYou probably more or less know what to do after a routine car accident with another driver in a personal vehicle. However, if the driver who caused your accident was a city or state employee in a government vehicle, that can really throw a wrench in things. Government vehicles are of course insured like any other vehicle on the road should be. However, the process of dealing with the aftermath may look a bit different. Everything from reporting the crash to filing a claim and recovering compensation may involve just a slightly different procedure. The safest thing to do is to work with an attorney who is experienced in handling personal injury claims against the government before. Hoggatt Law Office, P.C. has this type of experience, and we are not intimidated by the idea of going up against the state.

Examples of Government Vehicles in Colorado

The term “government vehicle” is fairly broad. A government vehicle could be a:

  • USPS truck
  • A vehicle used by a public university
  • Firetruck, police car, or ambulance
  • Garbage truck
  • School bus
  • Street sweeper

These are just a few examples. Any vehicle operated by any city, state, or federal employee in the course of their job duties may count.

Recovering Compensation After an Accident Caused by a Government Vehicle

First off, you must report the accident to the police. It is best to have them come to the scene and conduct their own investigation. You do not want a situation where it comes down to your word against the government employees. In fact, the more proof that they were at fault you can gather, the better. You should also call an attorney promptly. It is ideal if your lawyer can get to the accident scene before it is cleaned up too much.

Second, you should know that the statute of limitations for filing a claim is much shorter if a government vehicle was involved. Rather than having three years, you have only 180 days. Your first step would be to file an administrative claim with the government agency in control of the vehicle in question. After that, you must wait either 90 days or until the administration denies your claim before filing a lawsuit.

Instead of dealing with an insurance company - which you also should not do alone - you will be up against the government’s attorneys. Having your own legal representation is absolutely critical if your claim is against the government.

Call a Larimer County Car Accident Lawyer

Hoggatt Law Office, P.C. does not back down when one of our clients has been injured by a government vehicle. Our experienced Ft. Collins car accident attorneys will fight to recover the highest possible amount of damages on your behalf. Call 970-225-2190 for a free consultation.




Martindale Hubbell Elite Lawyer best car accident attorneys in fort collins expertise Martindale Hubbell Colorado Bar Association American Association of Justice Colorado Trial Lawyers Association Larimer County Bar Association
Hoggatt Law Office, P.C.

970-225-2190 | 1-800-664-3151

123 North College Avenue, Suite 160,
Fort Collins, CO 80524

3835 W. 10th Street
Greeley, Colorado 80634 |
353 Main Street, Suite A
Longmont, Colorado 80501 |
Download Our App
Google Play Store
Back to Top